Friday, April 20, 2012

Too Much Dorito?


I don’t think there’s a brand that keeps reinventing themselves more than Dorito.  As far back as I could remember, which by the way, is pretty far, Doritos has had some pretty funny commercials.  I remember the funny ones from the 1970’s with Avery Schreiber.  He was the guy with the big mustache that crunched into a Doritos and made them look so good.

Today, Doritos has taken their image beyond branding and taglines, they even offer a different chip.  40% bigger and 40% cheesier.  Being in advertising I struggle with the concept of making such major changes to your product.  Is it good to keep changing your campaign?  Is it OK to change the size and flavor of something that has worked for you for many years?  I am no expert but I would have to say the answer is yes.  

Fans of your product will try anything new you put out.  Let’s face it, if you don’t want the bigger, thicker, cheesier chip, you could still buy the original version.  The commercial that they have matches the boldness of the new product, a truck jumping over a ton of buses.  Guess what…there's even a china shop right in front of them too, bet you could guess what happens.  What you can’t guess is what the china shop has stored in the back room, brilliant!  You’ll have to watch to find out.

I say congratulations to Doritos for being innovative and jumping out on a limb.  I for one, can’t wait to go shopping this week to see if I could find a bag of these over sized, over flavored, novelty snacks.  I’m sure they won’t be as good as I expect them to be, but that isn’t stopping me from buying them.  Wow, the power of marketing, I know they won’t be that good but I’ll buy them anyway.  Crunch on!  



Thielman, Sam. "Ad of the Day: Doritos." adweek. N.p., 20,April 2012. Web. 20 Apr 2012. <http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/ad-day-doritos-139753>.

5 comments:

  1. Yes! Even more fake cheese to lick off my fingers after a tasty Dorito! If a company can afford to update/make a new product with new sizes and packaging, which Doritos apparently can, why not just do it?! I'll keep an eye out for these newer, bigger, cheesier Doritos as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great commercial, great post as well. It's true Doritos has been evolving since they popped onto the scene, and i feel every year there's a new Doritos flavor or some how altered chip. It's funny because they still haven't stopped! Now offering the Doritos taco at Taco Bell. I had to try it and it was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For as long as I can remember, Doritos has always pushed the advertising envelope and never ceases to amaze me and make me laugh. There ads are great and they must have such high expectations of their advertisers and the work that they put out. I would love to sit down with them as they plan out ads and campaigns just to see how they do everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say, I give Doritos a lot of credit, they never stop. They always keep promoting their rand and changing up they audience. I think it says a lot about their brand because we haven't seen many other products that can do this. Bud Light comes in a close Second but Doritos for sure has always came up with enticing campaigns and promotions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doritos really knows how to reach their audience and they have a great understanding of who they are. They are never afraid to use shocking humor to grab someone's attention to them. I personally think they are ahead of their time in advertising abilities and I am always interested to see what they will do next.

    ReplyDelete